Charlene is a Principal Analyst at Altimeter, a Prophet company, and the author of the New York Times bestseller, Open Leadership. She is also the coauthor of the critically acclaimed, bestselling book Groundswell, which was named one of the best business books in 2008. Her newest book, The Engaged Leader, was published in March 2015. She is one of the foremost experts on business strategy and disruptive technology, and a sought-after speaker and advisor to many top global companies.
Formerly, Li was the Founder and CEO of Altimeter Group, which was acquired by Prophet Brand Strategy in July 2015. She was also a vice president and principal analyst at Forrester Research, worked in online newspaper publishing, and was a consultant with Monitor Group. She was named one of the Top 50 Leadership Innovators by Inc, and one of the 100 most creative people in business by Fast Company.
Charlene is frequently quoted by leading media channels such as The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, USA Today, Reuters, and The Associated Press. She has appeared on 60 Minutes, The McNeil NewsHour, ABC News, CNN, and CNBC. She is a much-sought after public speaker and has keynoted top conferences such as the World Business Forum, World Economic Forum, American Society of Association Executives, SXSW, and Web 2.0.
Charlene is a graduate of Harvard Business School and received a magna cum laude degree from Harvard College. She lives in San Francisco and enjoys baking sourdough bread to counter her real-time professional life. You can follow her blog at charleneli.com/blog and at twitter.com/charleneli.
Short Bio for Event Programs and Interviews
Charlene Li is the Founder and CEO of Altimeter Group and the author of five books, including the New York Times bestseller, Open Leadership and the co-author of the critically acclaimed book, Groundswell. She is a sought after speaker and advisor to many Fortune 500 companies. She is a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Business School and lives in San Francisco with her husband and two teenagers.
- “The Disruptor’s Agenda”, in research phase, target publication Spring 2017
- “The Engaged Leader: A Strategy for Your Digital Transformation“, March 2015. Independent Book Publisher Award, 2016.
- “Seven Success Factors of Social Business Strategy“, July 2013.
- “Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead“, May 2010. New York Times bestseller,
- “Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies“, May 2008. Named by Amazon as one of the best business books of 2008.
- Board of Directors for the Harvard University Alumni Association, 2011-2014
- World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on New Models of Leadership, 2011-2013
- Poynter Institute, National Advisory Board, 2009-2012
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Santa Clara County, 1994-1995
Headshots and Book Images
These are available at this link.
- LinkedIn Influencer, 2013 to present.
- Top 50 Leadership Innovators, Inc, November 2015
- Top 100 Social Media Influencers, StatSocial, February 2015
- Most Creative People in Business 1000 by Fast Company, 2014
- Top 10 Marketing Influencers named by LinkedIn, 2013
- Named by Fast Company as one of the 100 Most Creative People in Business in 2010
- Open Leadership debuted at #5 on The New York Times bestseller list, May 2010
- Groundswell named the recipient of the 2009 Berry-AMA Book Prize for the best book in marketing
- Named by Fast Company as one of The Most Influential Women in Technology
- Groundswell named by CIO Insight as one of the Top 10 Business- Tech Books of 2008
- Named by Fast Company as one of The 12 Most Creative Minds of 2008
- Groundswell named by Businessweek as one of the Best Innovation & Design Books of 2008
- Groundswell named by strategy+business as one of the Best Business Books 2008 and “Top Shelf” in Marketing
- Groundswell named one of 10 Insightful Web 2.0 Books by CIO Insight
- Groundswell, coauthored with Josh Bernoff, named by Amazon as one of the Top 10 Business & Investing Books of 2008
- Named by AdAge as one of its top 40 Women to Watch in 2008
- Named by NowPublic as one of the 50 most influential people in Silicon Valley